An overview of The Data Lab MSc Placement Programme
Working with our partners MBN Academy, The Data Lab is looking to place students from our 160 strong 2020-21 cohort on a 8-12 week industrial placement for summer 2021 (placements are also available for the period September – December 2021).
These students are studying a range of MSc courses in AI, data science and data engineering, including in health and social science domains, at universities across Scotland. MBN have worked with The Data Lab since 2016-17, successfully matching students in organisations in all sectors of the Scottish economy. MBN are a specialist data recruitment agency, with in depth knowledge of the data sector in Scotland.
- Organisations are supported by MBN and The Data Lab from initial contact and discussions around potential projects. The Data Lab will support your organisation through the whole process to project delivery.
- Prior to applying for the Placement Programme, students must attend sessions delivered by MBN on Employability skills including CV writing; interview preparation and self-promotion and networking using social media platforms.
- The Data Lab and MBN Academy will profile all students and match them to suitable host organisation projects.
- There is no fee for your organisation to join The Placement Programme, but as this is a paid industrial placement, students must be paid by the organisation the current National Living wage as a minimum. There is grant funding available to start-ups and SMEs to support participation in the programme (subject to availability).
For further information on how you can host a student on a placement, watch a recording of the MSc placement programme launch event with key speakers from organisations and students who have participated in the programme:
Next steps and guidelines for organisations interested in joining The Data Lab MSc Placement Programme
In line with government advice covering COVID-19, and the degree of uncertainty in the short and medium term, The Data Lab asks that all projects have the potential to be delivered remotely should government legislation state that it is a requirement to do so. 33 placements were successfully completed remotely in 2019-20. Read more about how this worked out for one of our students on a placement with Marine Scotland.
- The Data Lab and MBN Academy invites organisations to register their interest in taking part in the 2020-21 MSc Placement Programme – contact firstname.lastname@example.org now.
- The Data Lab/ MBN Academy will arrange a call to give you further details on the Placement Programme and assistance in naming your project.
- The Data Lab /MBN Academy will help you to complete a Project Form detailing your organisation’s Placement Project details. The form will enable you to articulate the technologies and competencies required for your Project.
- You should ensure all necessary funding (internal and external) is in place before submitting the Project form.
- The Data Lab/ MBN Academy will match the most suitable student to your Project based on the information supplied in your Project Form. One student CV will be presented to you as a best match to your project. Please do not request additional student CVs until you have met and assessed this student.
- The process for meeting the student is covered in detail in the Meeting the Students section.
- Organisations should discuss the Project with the selected student to ensure compatibility.
- Please ensure that you provide feedback on every stage in the process (CV assessment, meeting, offer of placement, etc) within a maximum of 48 hours to your The Data Lab/MBN contact
- On receiving your response after the student meeting, The Data Lab/MBN Academy will liaise between you, the selected student, the University and The Data Lab to confirm the placement if dialogues are successful.
For assistance and guidance on any of the above, contact email@example.com.