Over the last five years there has been an explosion in the number of educational courses provided online. This is no surprise when you consider the potential benefits to the learner. You can learn what you want. You can learn at home. You can learn at your own pace. Online courses have the potential to open up new exciting career opportunities to anyone who has access to the internet.
We know that Scotland needs more people with the skills to manipulate, organise and analyse an ever increasing amount and variety of data. This demand is not confined to traditional computing industries. Data skills are required in most industry sectors.
To contribute to the requirement for more flexible high-quality data science training and education, The Data Lab will fund up to three online courses in the form of MOOCs or closed application online courses.
Following a recent expression of interest call, we received a list of proposed courses, and are now conducting an Online Learning survey to gauge interest in the courses which have been submitted to us.
The list of proposed courses includes:
- Teaching a Nation of Citizen Data Scientists (to equip teachers with the concepts, tools, case studies, and confidence in applying data science)
- R For Data Analysts (a beginner’s course for data analysts that introduces R and RStudio in the context of a typical data analyst’s day job)
- The Power of Data Analytics (covering core concepts and incorporating powerful case studies in finance, health and social data)
- Data Science for Environmental Modelling, Renewables and Transportation (Data Science for Environmental Modelling, Renewables and Transportation, training practitioners in handling modern forms of data)
- Data Science for Finance
- The science of open data for the public sector (addressing the data science skills gap that currently exists in particular with the health and care, transport/environmental sector)
- Data Science for the Games Industry (show games developer how to store data effectively and analyse it to gain insights into game users activities)
- Do good with Data Science (introduce Data Science to students through this unique lens, framing and positioning the field in a truly multidisciplinary manner that aims to attract more students from diverse backgrounds, fields, and industries)
- Data Science in Stratified Healthcare and Precision Medicine
- Introduction to Social Network Analysis using R programming language (learners will be introduced to the basics of social networks analysis (SNA))
We will appreciate if you could please complete the short survey below as quickly as possible as we will only be able to use surveys returned by Friday 10 March; it will only take 1-2 minutes of your time.
Your answers will be kept strictly confidential. Your cooperation is important to ensure that we go on to offer the correct online learning courses to meet the appetite of participants.
Thank you for your support!