Jobs within The Data Lab
The Data Lab aims to ensure equality of opportunity and welcomes applications from everyone irrespective of age, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, belief or race. Flexible working arrangements can be discussed. Appointment will be based on merit alone.
There are currently no vacancies within The Data Lab.
Jobs in Scotland
Unless indicated otherwise, the following opportunities are offered by organisations external to The Data Lab. If you are interested or have any questions regarding any of these vacancies, please contact the offering organisation directly.
Chief Executive Officer – Celerum
Currently, Celerum are seeking expressions of interest from candidates for the position of Chief Executive Officer. If you would like more information or to discuss this opportunity further, please contact email@example.com.
Celerum are looking for an experienced CEO to take this innovative start-up company and seize the significant market opportunity in transport logistics. You would scale up the customer base and revenues, and lead growth within the team.
This is an exciting time to join a company that has proven technology across industries where you will lead transformational growth demonstrating the uniqueness that our technology has to offer.
The current team is in the Aberdeen area with the ideal candidate located in that vicinity, although the team is currently virtual so other locations will be considered.
Market Insight Officer – Heriot-Watt University
Job Posting Title: Market Insight Officer
Grade and Salary: Grade 6: Grade 6, FTE £26,243 – £30,395
FTE and working pattern: Full time (1 FTE), Monday – Friday. Flexible working options available.
Organisation Name: Marketing, Recruitment, Admissions and Communications (MRAC)
About our School/Directorate and Team: The Marketing, Student Recruitment, Admissions and Communications Group is at the heart of attracting, engaging and delivering exceptional student and stakeholder experiences. From award-winning marketing campaigns, to local and global student recruitment initiatives, and communications that put Heriot-Watt on the global stage, our Group delivers professional services that support the University’s strategic ambitions.
Purpose of Role Reporting to the Head of Market Insight & Analysis, this role involves planning and carrying out focus groups and surveys (qualitative research) and making the most of the data these produce, and conducting desk based research into student trends across subjects and countries which will inform growth in student recruitment in line with our Strategy 2025 ambitions.
Summary of Key Duties and Responsibilities: From conducting research to preparing business cases, we’re looking for a passionate and creative market researcher, able to deliver the following:
- Supporting the undertaking of qualitative market research in the UK and overseas market
- Desk based research on student number and key sector trends
- Collating information and interpreting evidence of key stakeholders
- Completion of business case scorecards on the potential for success of new degree level programmes, making recommendations based on findings
- Consulting academic colleagues about research needs and objectives
- Working with a Student Advisory Board to ensure the student voice is represented in market research
Please note that this list is not exhaustive, and the role holder may be required to undertake other relevant duties commensurate with the grading of the post. Activities may be subject to amendment over time as the role develops and/or priorities and requirements evolve.
Education, Qualifications & Experience:
These are the criteria on which the short-listing and recruitment selection will be made
- Educated to at least SCQF level 7 or similar or equivalent practical experience in the workplace
- Demostratable research experience, in terms of gathering, collating and understanding large amounts of information from multiple sources
- Understanding of conducting qualitative research methods
- Competent in the use of relevant IT packages
- Analytical problem solving skills
- Well-developed interpersonal skills
- Demonstrable ability to work quickly, flexibly and accurately in a dynamic, changing and pressured environment
- Demonstrable professional and proactive approach
- Experiene of conducting qualitative research methods
- Experience of Higher Education sector
- Data analysis capabilities
Click here to read the full job description and the relevant tasks, competencies and responsibilities.
Senior Front End Developer – NatWest Group
Join us as a Senior Front End Developer
- In this key role, you’ll collaborate with multiple stakeholders to design, build and deliver solutions to internal customers
- You’ll be partnering with the business and technical stakeholders, driving out high quality value add web based solutions
- This is an opportunity to gain exposure as you educate and sell opportunities and developments in web based applications across the bank
What you’ll do
As a Senior Front End Developer, you’ll be designing, building and supporting web based applications, as well as producing resilient and long lived software that meets current non-functional requirements and is flexible to cope with future functional and non-functional needs.
You’ll also be:
- Assessing user requirements and stories to arrive at effort required
- Internally validating all code written for yourself and peers
- Assisting in managing environments and code through QA and release processes
Senior Data Scientist – FreeAgent
FreeAgent is one of the UK’s most popular online accounting apps, with over 110,000 customers. FreeAgent removes the stress and pain of dealing with business finances, allowing business owners to focus on running their business!
Our customers love FreeAgent. It is rated 4.7 on Trustpilot.
Our employees love FreeAgent. We are rated ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ on Glassdoor.
We’re an independent subsidiary of NatWest group and we’re working closely with them to introduce over 500,000 bank customers to the FreeAgent experience in 2021. This is super-exciting and a big technical challenge. It’s a great opportunity for engineers at FreeAgent to see their work make a direct impact on the happiness and productivity of the small business customers across the UK!
We believe in the power of a happy and diverse team and we’d love you to join us on this journey 🙏
The role 🧑🚀
You’ll join our data science team working closely with other data scientists, data platform engineers and business intelligence analysts to help our customers be more successful running their businesses.
We have created a machine learning model to categorise business banking transactions that’s currently applied to over a hundred thousand customers in production. We have big ambitions to further our use of machine learning and artificial intelligence and you could be a part of that!
We believe in a learning culture and encourage self-development. Our regular company hack days and wiggle weeks provide a great opportunity for data scientists to pursue their own ideas and learn new technologies. Data scientists write about what they do, and what they learn, on our popular engineering blog.
Your typical week will involve:
- Developing, deploying and monitoring machine learning models
- Looking for new opportunities by analysing data
- Sharing insights by speaking at our Engineering Forum and Town Hall
- Discussing current topics with the team in our weekly journal club
- Expanding your technical and business knowledge
Technologies we use:
- Amazon SageMaker
- Amazon Redshift and Google BigQuery
Apps we use: GitHub, Trello, G Suite, Notion
Technical Co-Founder – Voxsio
Mental Health focused AI Startup
Mobile apps that combine mental & physical health. Using AI driven conversations to deliver personalised support and therapies that are accessible, engaging & impactful.
● You want to join an early stage company, and to contribute to building a successful
business that makes a difference to people’s lives.
● You have a strong technical background – particularly AI in the context of Natural
Language Understanding, and you’re ready to learn more!
● You’re willing and able to get your hands dirty developing our product to start with, while
building a strong product development team.
Voxsio need you to do
● Deliver our customer led projects while developing our core product.
● Build a strong product development team, attracting gifted developers, creating a
● Be a co founder, bringing your skills and passion and taking part in the management &
development of the company.
What you get
● To lead the development of a new product, setting the strategic direction, choosing
technologies and shaping the team.
● The opportunity to grow and develop with the company, fast tracking your career as
● To be a Co-founder, helping to grow the business, with share options that reflect your
We are passionate about our business. If you are interested email firstname.lastname@example.org to talk
about the role.
Please no recruitment agencies.