- This event has passed.
Data science ethics book club #6 – AI & bad credit: the impact of automation on financial inclusion
October 16 @ 6:30 pm - 8:30 pm
We’ll be meeting in London, Edinburgh and online – and we’d love you to join the discussion.
Topic: Financial inclusion and AI
Our next data science ethics bookclub is on AI and bad credit: the impact of automation on financial inclusion. You are welcome to pick from this reading list, depending on your interest and the time you have:
– Blog: ‘We Didn’t Explain the Black Box – We Replaced it with an Interpretable Model’, about the FICO explainable credit score competition winner here
– Academic article on fairness in credit risk evaluation, ‘Context-conscious fairness in using machine learning to make decisions’ here
– Government paper: The Centre for Data Ethics and Innovation look at AI and Personal Insurance here
– News article on how companies can use data with low levels of regulation, ‘The new lending game, post-demonetisation’ here
– Academic article on discrimination in consumer lending here
Join us – wherever you are
Address for London: Deloitte, 1 New Street Square, London EC4A 3HQ
Address for Edinburgh: CodeClan, 37 Castle Terrace, Edinburgh EH1 2EL
Online access: We’ll send you Zoom joining details ahead of the event
Why are we doing this?
There’s a lot of good writing out there and one of the most important principles (even in our own ethical principles) is to discuss and debate the ethical questions.
We hope this will help people gain the tools they need to think about this in their jobs or in DataKind projects, or in encountering algorithmic tools in their everyday life. But if all you get out of it is some friendly discussion over a coffee or beer, that works too 🙂
Do I need to be a data scientist to participate?
Nope. We’ll have a mix of technical and non-technical reading material. The aim is to think about data science in a context of ethical impacts and consequences – and that affects everybody!
Is there an online option?
We will be hosting an online group alongisde the in-person event – if you’d like to join remotely, please select the ‘remote bookclub’ option from the ticket options above. We’ll also be live tweeting using the hashtag #DKbookclub and taking comments/questions.
I have a brilliant idea for reading material/a theme! Who do I tell?
We love suggestions! Tell us at email@example.com